Friday, May 18, 2012

Reflection-Data Logger




In week eleven, I was designed an experiment by using data logging at physic laboratory. Before that, I had used this data logging in fourth semester when I’m taking the introductory mechanics and environmental science subjects. Indeed, during the lab session, I need to use the data logging during conduct the experiment to get the data of experiment. Actually I did not know that software called as data logging. For me, this device very beneficial because I able to do the experiment without worry about the result whether it accurate or not. This is because with data logger I can get an accurate and effective data for the experiment. The most important, the data can be read, collect and analyses directly. So, I did not need to collect and write the data manually which waste my time.

After the lecture, I knew that data logger is any device that can be used to store data. This includes many data acquisition devices such as plug-in boards or serial communication systems which use a computer as a real time data recording system. However, most instrument manufacturers consider a data logger is a stand alone device that can read various types of electrical signals and store the data in internal memory for later download to a computer. Today, the more widely used method of recording data is with a data logger (or paperless chart recorder). Data loggers are stand-alone instruments that measure signals, convert them to digital data, and store the data internally. Many data loggers include built-in displays and the ability to transfer the data to a PC for offline analysis, permanent storage, or report generation. The advantage of data loggers is that they can operate independently of a computer, unlike many other types of data acquisition devices. Data loggers are available in various shapes and sizes. The range includes simple economical single channel fixed function loggers to more powerful programmable devices capable of handling hundreds of inputs. 








Based on the experiment about the Charles Law, I used the temperature and pressure sensor to conduct the experiment appropriately. The value of temperature for the water was taken automatically when I started the heating. so, I able to observe the pattern of graph the increasing of temperature. besides that, I can relate directly the relationship between temperature and volume of air in the balloon.  The pressure sensor was used as control variable. From the data , I concluded that the increasing of the temperature caused the volume of air increasing due to the heating of air particle. Actually it’s so easy to conduct an experiment when we use data logger. There are many types of sensory like pressure, temperature, motion, forces, light,pH, humidity and others. I used the sensor because it’s used to input into the data-logging equipment. Almost any physical property can be measured with the correct sensor.  The data logger collects the data at regular intervals (the logging interval) over a set length of time (the logging period). Depending on the type of logger we have used, the data will be presented in different ways. Mechanical loggers produce a paper strip chart that we simply pull from the logger. Electronic and wireless data loggers transfer the collected data to our personal computer. Software helps our download, view, analyze, and print the information you need.

As a conclusion, I very like and happy to use this software when conduct the experiment and I hope in future, each school will be used this data logger in the laboratory. This software can help the teachers in lab session and making the experiment become more enjoyable, and interesting to the students.









No comments:

Post a Comment